Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Poem to My Future Husband

I think I'm in love with your smile
the way our hands will probably be a perfect match
the color of your eyes when we say goodnight
and sitting on a porch, together
or laying in our grass (will we have a yard?)
our laughter making music.
i think we'll spend our free time snuggling
or dancing in the kitchen
or playing ball, you can choose
hopscotch?
not everything will be sunshine and roses
but we'll be together.
i think we'll get a puppy (I hope you like dogs!)
and we'll take him on walks
I've already named him Moose (I hope you don't mind)
I bet we'll talk of adventure
Socrates, Plato, Philosophy
Maybe we'll travel the world?
I sure do like airplane rides.

I think the way you hug me will make me melt
and I hope my head can fit in the crook of your neck.
I bet you'll enjoy reading books
or, at least humor me when I talk about them
I think you'll make me insanely happy
and adding each other to our lives
won't complete us,
but instead, will allow us to walk side by side
sometimes barefoot, sometimes clothed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.

Unknown said...

So instead of working on a legal brief I have due in a couple of days, I just spent the past 1/2 hr reading your blog/poetry. The line of events that took me from what I originally sat down to do, to get your blog, to get specifically to this poem is kind of amazing when you think about it.
Anyway, to cut to the chase I loved this poem: So very rare is it to find words that ignite and stir the fuzzy feelings when your life is moving at a million miles per minute. The vivid descriptions of the poem transported me to the yard where you and your future husband would be, Moose the dog by your side. So thank you for writing something that caught my attention and pulled me to a different place. The poem made me dream of being that future husband, sharing a life's journey with a special girl if only for a fleeting moment. I hope you continue to write if only for that one life you brush up against and influence in the slightest way. It certainly made a difference in my day.

Respectfully,

Jared M. Walsh

erin said...

Jared M. Walsh,

Thank you for the kind words! I am glad you enjoyed it and sorry for distracting you from your legal brief. I find that poetry tends to do that, especially to me! Would you happen to be the Jared Walsh that also attends SLU?

Happy legal writing, and I hope some more poetry finds its way into your life.

Erin