Monday, April 6, 2009

Photos





I love photography. Here are some pictures I took in Belize and Cozumel. Below is an interview with the friend--a short Q and A session, if you will. Hopefully this blog will let me upload pictures? 

 


 One in Four

1 of 4 is a picture I took in Belize. I titled it that because the entire country only has 4
stoplights, all of which are in the actual city of Belize. Only 3 of those stoplights work,
and this was one of them. I also like this picture because it shows people going about

their lives.



 The Wanderer

 

 The Wanderer is actually me 


 on the top of this huge Mayan ruin. I love this picture.
I think it portrays how we question the meaning of things and we stand on the brink of

understanding it all.




Belize

Belize is a great picture of line. I like it because I generally take pictures of nature, or things
that are falling down. Here, it shows that man-made things can still be beautiful, even if 
they are not portraying poverty or God's creation.



 Mayan Temple



Mayan Temple is a picture of the steps in the Mayan ruin. I am fascinated by the subtly of the 
rocks and crevices. 



 Fences

Fences is also from Belize. The country is a third-world country, and I wanted to capture
a picture of their wealth. This was the wealthy section of town; they have power lines and
the ability to have fences around their yards.



 Winding Ancient Stair

Winding Ancient Stair is from an ancient Mayan temple in Belize. The name of the photo
is actually a part of a poem I like by Yeats. The poem is about the conflict 
between self and soul. I thought it was an apt name for this picture.




 Lonely Warf


Lonely Warf--I think if I had to chose a favorite, I would finally decide on this one. I love
this picture, because I love the water, and the different emotions it can give off and the
connection you can have with it. I also love the use of line, and the difference between
the hard, crooked ways of the warf and the lines of the pavement. Kind of like our relationship

with God--the weather shapes us, some might call it different, but I call it beautiful



 One Lonely Tree


One Lonely Tree is also from a poem. I think it is aptly named, for this tree was the lone tree
in this field we passed. 

INTERVIEW:


What inspired you to take these pictures?

I love photography, and take any chance I can to use it as a creative outlet. I also try to have my pictures tell a story. I want to capture something that inspires someone, or makes people think or portrays an emotion.

 

Do you believe that a picture can (pardon the cliché) “speak a thousand words”? Why?

No. Due to inflation, a picture is now worth 7,621 words. (I can’t actually pretend like that quote is mine. I saw it on a photography site and laughed.) But in all seriousness, yes. I think the eyes might be the most important sense, at least to me. My interpretation of the environment and basically life in general is about 72% from my eyes. If you can capture a moment, it’s not just worth a thousand words; it’s priceless. That moment is never coming back.

 

Where were you when you took these photos?

I think most, if not all, of these shots are from when I was in Belize.

 

Why are these photos significant to you?

Because I love art. It is a vital part of humanity, and these photos tell a story or inspire emotions that God has given us. I think it’s good to expand your horizons and learn about unknown things, or stare at photographs, being quiet and letting yourself feel what the picture holds.

 

What can art convey that words cannot?

Art is a reflection of life. I do think words hold a power, but perhaps other types of art—visual, dancing, music, and theatrical—hold even more power? I’m not sure. But I know that a poem is just as artistic as a photograph, or a ballerina dancing. Perhaps art holds more power because sometimes it is more engaging. Really good art gets down into you, you know? Under your skin. It tingles in your fingertips and creates a tug on your heart and a feeling in your gut. It stirs emotions within us.

 

Do you believe that art teaches us something about God? How can Christians better use art to point people to Christ?

 

Yes. 100%. I think God is an artist. I mean, look around. Go outside, smell the air after a thunderstorm. Stare at the stars from the top of a mountain, listen to a brook or the ocean’s waves crashing on a beach. Feel the wind dance across your skin in the autumn, taste a handful of water from a fresh spring. All of that is art. We are art. Watch a baby take tiny steps, listen to the laughter of old friends. God is an artist, and everything around us points back to Him. If He is the master artist, and we are made in His image, well then…art can teach us a lot about Him, and ourselves. Christians should first take a second to realize the art that surrounds them, the beauty we so often take for granted. We don’t “need” to do anything but praise God for his glory. If we take joy in His creation, that will point people to Christ. Simply noticing God around us will make all the difference.

No comments: